This blogspot has been set up to honor Kathy!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

From Randi.... Saturday morning early

A group of us accompanied Kathy to the prairie today (north rim) where we were met by a ranger who guided us onto the trail by jeep, followed by Kathy's and Julie's van---all the way down to the observation tower.  Prairie still had a little bit of morning dew just beginning to evaporate off, and slight touch of a breeze.  Kathy was overcome with emotion to be in the midst of her beloved prairie, so alive with every bit of overlapping lifeform.  Willie carried her right up the top of the observation tower and once we were up there we all were excitedly exclaiming away---woo hoo! look at the great blues!  look at the whooping crane! where are the bison?!  blah blah blah  until Kathy finally beseeched us to shut up and just listen to the quiet.  And then we heard the sandhills chattering, the redwinged blackbirds squacking, the gallinules peeping, the cicadas making their cacophonous racket....  The white lotus flowers were in full bloom everywhere standing taller than I've ever seen them, the purple of the pickerels punctuated everywhere we looked. We saw a small swallow giving hell to a large blackbird midflight forcing him right out of her teritory.  Kathy had a big beautiful cry with Julie up there on that observation deck seeing, and smelling, and hearing so much.  There was a lot of beauty and wildness in the stillness all around us, and a lot of emotion in the air as we quietly disembarked from the tower and started for home.  We all knew just how lucky we are.     Randi

6 comments:

  1. Very powerful description. Thank you Randi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT TOE JAM!!!!Imiss our great jams!!!!
    Sending lots of LOVE[I know,Iknow, I coulda just put LOL....lets just say I'm practicing my typing skills]
    I miss SOOO much of FLA...most of all YOU BEAUTIFUL GURLZ!!!!!! HUGS & KISSES to all!!!
    JanieBob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh and golly gee Randy, you sure can write! Wish I had been there with you all. I miss everyone and that area, although, I love my paradise here on Mobile bay.

    Love you Kathy, love, love, love you...it was wonderful to see you again!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you all, may the tranquil beauty of the Prairie strengthen both Kathy and Julie on this journey.I hope you may do this again...
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read last Wednesday's blog entry ("Wishes from Kathy") I was amazed at how linked in I was to Kathy's brain waves. I had tried repeatedly to get a small grant to start a nature-mentoring project in Putnam County for kids, for the very purpose of combating the "nature deficiency disorder" problem. Unfortunately my efforts weren't successful.

    After I drove all the way to Gville about a week and a half ago for my treasured meeting with Kathy and our "card exchange" I started brainstorming again about what I could do from afar to get this amorphous project "off the ground."

    My incredibly spiritual, uplifting meeting with Kathy jump-started a plan. It started to gel and I've been scrambling to pull it all together and return to Gville with the fruits of my labors to present it to Kathy.

    I will be donating a priceless, one of a kind, "NATURE YACHT" jointly to the Putnam Land Conservancy and PCEC in honor of Kathy. It can be used by both groups to lead local water-based tours. It also can be used to lead tours for visiting dignitaries, to show them the importance of local waterways and the need to get kids on the water to interact with nature in a quiet, referent way.

    The wonderful blog entry and photos yesterday from the "P Prairie" outing gave me the encouragement I needed that Kathy would be able to "christen" her "NATURE YACHT"!
    s
    My plan is to arrive early WED. AM for Kathy to see it,"Christen" it and decide if she is up for a little "spin" in her namesake "NATURE YACHT" to infuse her special spirit for all of its future missions. Outing options for the "christening" voyage include "her" lake, the Santa Fe, Noonan's Lake, or whatever she's in the mood for doing.

    sydney

    _________________
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010

    Wishes from Kathy
    We had a good evening together last night (Tuesday). Kathy (and everyone!) is eating well and she seems happy most of the time. Being without pain has made a world of difference. She is taking a fair amount of medicine and she is sometimes a little fuzzy but she is still Kathy and continues to want to steer the ship - giving directions and making plans.

    Last night she said once again that she really wants to use this time to promote fighting "nature deficiency disorder". She is especially adamant about trying to get kids out in nature. I told her that I had not put any links on her blog to other sites because I thought her blog was too intimate. She then had me write down a list of programs that she wants everyone to know about and support. So here it is!

    1. Cultural Arts Coalition
    2. The Cultural Arts Coalition (CAC) developed as an outgrowth of the Annual Fifth ... of the rich African American culture of Gainesville through the arts. ...
    3. Girl Power -
    4.
    5. Environmental Ambassadors
    6. Inner City Outings - Sierra Club
    7.
    8. Little Orange Creek Conservation Historical and Educational Center. (LOCCHEC)
    One last note. We have heard that Kathy will be honored by Alachua County at their regular meeting next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, I am so grateful to have the opportunity to express my gratitude to you for all you have done for the world. I truly believe that there are life lessons and life experiences that can only be had in the outdoors. Kadin and I would like to own a company someday that can facilitate these learning experiences and open doors to the amazing impacts nature can have on us...and we can have on nature. The energy and passion you have spent throughout your lifetime to preserve nature and recreation areas is what makes it possible for us to even have this dream for future generations. You are an amazing person and your spirit will continue to encourage people for generations. Thank you. Our love and prayers continue to be with you and Julie. Peace be with you.
    Sarah and Kadin Rasor

    ReplyDelete