This blogspot has been set up to honor Kathy!

Monday, July 5, 2010

a post from Michael Lehtola

Hi, I'm Michael Lehtola. Kathy and I went to medical school together at UF in the '70s. I just want to be updated on things. I spoke to Kathy on the phone last Saturday. It was great. She was her old self on the phone. Witty, upbeat, at peace obviously. We shared a little tear together. I do love her so.

My partner, Bruce and I live in San Francisco, so it is not possible to make a quick trip to see her. I only found out about this when Kathy e-mailed me just a little over a week ago to let me know this was her fate. Needless to say, I was devastated.

I have been following the blog. That helps, too.

Whenever you are with her, whisper my greetings and love to Kathy with a nice kiss on her forehead! If only I could do that myself.

Take care.

By the way, do you know Donna Burnell? She was a longtime resident of Gainesville but now lives in Dunedin, I believe. I hope she is aware of Kathy's condition. I don't have an active e-mail or phone number for her. We used to be close friends, but time and distance have changed that, unfortunately. Ask around and see if anyone else knows her contact info. I'd appreciate that favor as well.

Michael Lehtola

1 comment:

  1. Hi, This is Donna Burnell. I live now outside of Huntsville, Alabama. Marcia West told me about Kathy's party at the Hipp and shortly after I found the blog. (Hi, Michael, donnaburnell@mchsi.com). The blog has been both uplifting and, at times, heartbreaking. But it is always the first thing I check.
    I met Kathy when Kathy and Michael began med school at Shands. I also rented a trailer from her on a lake outside of Hawthorne around 1980. I love the pictures and the group of caretakers. Lorelai and I know each other. I don't believe I have met Julie, Carol, or Shirley but I'm sending you all much strength and energy. Kathy, you have always been a role model for me in every way (even though you probably thought I wasn't paying attention). Strength and energy to you, too, girlfriend, as you lead the way into a new experience of being. Thanks again to the wonderful group of caretakers who are letting those of us in who cannot be there.
    Love and light, Donna Burnell

    ReplyDelete