This blogspot has been set up to honor Kathy!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunday

Things are better today and Kathy and a large group of family and friends attended the 11am service at UCG. It was really very nice and that is saying a lot since I am a long lost Catholic school girl and haven't been to church in eons.

Yesterday (Saturday)- Kathy had a severe headache in the early a.m and was having to take a lot of pain meds. So far today, she is much better and is no longer taking meds. At 11pm last night, she was smiling and sitting up in bed and talking to Ritchie and everyone else.. making jokes. It was good.

Kathy in on a steroid which will reduce some of the swelling around the tumor and allow some of her strength and balance to return. She lost the use of her good arm (left) but has had it return off and on since she started the steroids. We are hopeful now that she is able to take it regularly that she will once again be able to use that arm.

Things change day to day. We know that you would all like to see Kathy and visit. If you want to get in touch or come by, it would be easier for them if you can post here rather than calling. Kathy, Julie and others are watching this blog and we will try and get back to you.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the update, Shirley...
    we send our love and prayers to Julie and Kathy today as well as to Sue, Richie and Luz. I am so happy that Kathy is feeling better today. I will be there as soon as I hear from Sue that the time is right. Love from Mary & Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very glad that Kathy was able to attend 11am service. That is a strong and loving community, and love is powerful medicine in such quantity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathy, you are one lucky girl to have great friends like Shirley! So glad to hear you are still having fun. I've got the St. Kathy picture on my desktop - it is too cute. Hope to see you soon, maybe when you come out to the lake. Holding you close in my heart and loving you bunches! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy,
    this is Sabina. I am up in Vermont selling our farm so that we can settle for real in Gainesville.
    Mike called me today and told me about the tumor. I am saddened and shocked and will hope and pray for a miracle.
    You are an amazing women and I was glad to hear that all your (our) effords for Lochec are bearing fruit.
    I am sending you love, joy and light and hope to see you when I am back.
    Sabina
    352-213-8232

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug and I feel grateful and blessed to have gotten to talk with Kathy on Saturday. She looked much as she does in the St. Kathy photograph above, minus the headscarf. Julie, her sister and niece, and Carol, Pam, and Lorelei welcomed us with such warmth and graciousness, and the atmosphere of love surrounding Kathy is palpable.

    Providence Zen Center was contacted last night and the Kwan Seum Bosal chant requested in Kathy's name. That means that within a day or so, this chant will go out from all the Kwanum centers around the world. Doug also sent a request for the chant to the Gateless Gate Zen Center in Gainesville. There is no practice today, so the chant will be made tomorrow.

    In the meantime, we continue to pray for a miracle and marvel at Kathy's clarity and spirit and the strength and love of her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kathy, This blog has been so informative. I can feel the love that surrounds you from Julie, your family and your friends. Loved the photos too. I will be arriving in Gainesville on Thursday evening, June 3. Would I be able to visit you on Friday, June 4 in the morning, like 9:30am, or 10am or 10:30am or 11am? Please let me know if this is a good day and time. Love, Bette bttboysen@comcast.net or call my home and leave a message 941-445-4572

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy and Julie! We want to help! Could we cook you and your helpers some food? Actually, I already made cupcakes :-) Or, we could help in some other way... pet sitting, cleaning... what ever you need! Love, Caroline & Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy and Julie!
    I am very saddened to hear the news (a few days late) and want you to know how much I admire you both. I am sending huge hugs and warm thoughts of healing and serenity to you. They are deeply felt so I know they will make it to you over many miles. I thought you should know that those who love and support you are reading your blog as far away as West Africa! I hope to hug you in person after I return to Gainesville on the 16th if you have not yet left for North Carolina.
    Wishing you many blessings,
    xoxoxoxoxoxo,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete